No. 19 Syracuse falls to No. 12 NC State 75-71 in OT to finish regular season

Courtesy of SU Athletics

No. 19 Syracuse couldn't set a program record for wins in a regular season, falling in overtime to No. 12 NC State.

Syracuse had the chance to make history. Since the program started in 1971, SU’s regular season wins record sat at 23, set in 2016. That year, Syracuse made its first National Championship game but since then, it’s been a turbulent time. The Quentin Hillsman scandal in 2020 and eventual resignation left SU reeling.

But just three years later, Syracuse returned to prominence under the tutelage of Felisha Legette-Jack and put itself on the verge of setting its record for regular-season wins. The only thing standing in Syracuse’s way was North Carolina State, a team it hasn’t beaten since 2017 and in a building — William Neal Reynolds Coliseum — it’d only won in once before.

The odds were stacked against Syracuse. It’s been that way the entire season. From being picked ninth in the preseason Atlantic Coast Conference poll to overcoming numerous double-digit second-half deficits, Syracuse has been used to playing with its backs against the wall. Thursday night was no different. But this time, it was too much for the Orange to overcome.

No. 19 Syracuse (23-6, 13-5 ACC) couldn’t cap off its historic regular season with a win, falling to No. 12 NC State (24-5, 12-5) 75-71 in overtime. Offense was hard to come by for Syracuse in overtime, scoring just five points. SU was led Dyaisha Fair’s 26 points but she was held in check down the stretch with just five points across the fourth quarter and overtime on one made field goal while guarded by NC State freshman Zoe Brooks.

For large portions of Thursday’s game, Syracuse controlled the pace and set the tone. Georgia Woolley knocked down a baseline jumper with just over three minutes remaining in the third quarter to put Syracuse up 52-46 — tied for its largest lead in the second half. But NC State finished the final 2:58 of the quarter with eight straight points from four different scorers. Saniya Rivers’ free throws with four seconds left put the Wolfpack up 54-52.

Mimi Collins scored down low on NC State’s first possession of the fourth and Syracuse trailed by two possessions for the first time since the 8:30 mark of the third quarter.

It’s often been the same formula for SU this season: get to the fourth quarter and let Fair go to work. Just four days ago, Fair scored 15 of her 23 points in the fourth as the Orange erased an eight-point deficit to beat Pittsburgh. A few weeks ago, Fair scored 10 in the fourth to help Syracuse upset then-No. 15 Louisville.

Though the deficit wasn’t sizable, the conditions were less than ideal. On the road against a team that was ranked No. 6 last week before back-to-back losses, the Orange needed a strong finish.

Fair had 21 points through three quarters. Usually, the point guard starts off slow but against NC State, she was scorching hot. A 4-for-4 first quarter gave Fair 11 points as Syracuse led by four. Fair’s partner in crime Woolley poured in eight on just one missed shot. The Orange shot 11-for-17 in the first quarter, but seven offensive rebounds from NC State kept the deficit at four.

The duo was held to just two points in the second, but Fair came alive in the third with eight. After missing her first attempt of the fourth, River Baldwin started a fast break but tripped. Fair took advantage by draining a 3-pointer — her sixth triple of the game — and cut the lead to one.

A minute and a half later, Izabel Varejão hit a mid-range pull up to put Syracuse back in front. Varejão then pulled in a Woolley miss and converted an and-one. After the finish, Varejão pumped her fist in excitement while looking at Syracuse’s bench. The ensuing free throw put the Orange up 60-56 with six minutes remaining.

Syracuse nearly went the next three minutes without scoring before Woolley faded away along the baseline to extend the lead back to three. After Rivers scored, Kyra Wood answered with a baseline jumper and Legette-Jack called a timeout.

With less than two minutes left, the Orange had a chance to create a slight cushion. The shot clock wound down as Fair controlled the ball at the top of the key. She waved off a Wood screen before driving the lane. With just three seconds on the shot clock, Fair was forced to heave one up but Brooks stuffed the attempt.

Rivers hit Baldwin in the post before Fair came to double and Baldwin kicked it back out. Rivers came in as just a 25% 3-point shooter, but confidently stepped into the shot and drained it to tie the game at 64-64 with 1:13 left.

Fair tried to get free on SU’s ensuing possession, but Brooks’ defense was air tight. Wood was forced to give the ball up to Woolley, who then traveled. Rivers drove hard at the other end, before pivoting and dishing to Baldwin to put NC State back ahead.

Woolley missed to tie the game, but Latham forced a jump ball with eight seconds left. Varejão received the in-bounds pass, handing off to Fair who seemed to free herself after Brooks stumbled, but passed up a deep 3 for an open Varejão in the corner, but her attempt was short. Yet Alyssa Latham pulled in the offensive rebound and was fouled with 0.1 seconds on the clock. Latham sank both free throws and sent the game to overtime.

Both teams started overtime with a lid on the basket. With the game knotted at 66-66, Woolley looked to get the ball to Fair in the half court, but Brooks jumped in the passing lane for a steal and was fouled by Fair on the other end.

After Brooks knocked down both free throws, Sophie Burrows canned her first 3-pointer of the game from the corner to put Syracuse up 69-68 with 2:08 left. But that was Syracuse’s final field goal of the game.

Brooks found Aziaha James on a back cut to put NC State up for good. Madison Hayes made it a three-point game before an errant pass from Wood to Woolley was picked off by Rivers. Woolley then fouled Rivers with less than a minute remaining which all but sealed Syracuse’s fate.

“Now we’re gonna go into our postseason, and I’m excited about the road ahead,” Legette-Jack said postgame.