Women's Soccer

Miami defeats Syracuse 2-1 in first ACC loss of the season

Arnav Pokhrel | Staff Photographer

Despite outshooting the Hurricanes 13-7, SU fell to Miami

The Syracuse defence headed the ball out of bounds following a punt from Miami goalkeeper Melissa Dagenais, giving the Hurricanes a throw-in near midfield in the 53rd minute. Adrianna Serna found Sophia Broz along the sideline.

Broz backheeled the ball to Gianna Angelillo on the left wing. As Angelillo possessed the ball, bringing it closer to the penalty box, SU’s Anna Rupert applied pressure.

Staying by Angelillo’s right hip, Rupert exposed the left side of the field. Approaching the 18-yard box, Angelillo took advantage of the space she was given and moved closer to the center of the box. After rolling the ball off of her right foot on the lip of the box, Angelillo sniped a left-footed shot over SU goalie Shea Vanderbosch, giving Miami a 2-0 lead.

In its first Atlantic Coast Conference game of the season, Syracuse (2-6-1, 0-1-0 ACC) was defeated by Miami (2-3-3, 1-0-0 ACC). Despite outshooting the Hurricanes 13-7, the Orange struggled to make the most of their opportunities, only putting three shots on goal. SU played the Hurricanes tightly for 80 minutes, but a 10-minute stretch between the 43rd and 53rd minute decided the game.

After both sides started the game slow offensively, Syracuse looked in control. Following a fastbreak, Erin Flurey was wide open on the left side of the 18-yard box with only Dagenais to beat. But, she took too long to control the ball, giving Miami’s defenders enough time to react and readjust.

Flurey shot the ball right at Dagenais, who punched the ball above the goal and out of bounds. Two Syracuse corner kicks ensued, but the Orange were not able to capitalize.

In the 43rd minute, the Hurricanes capitalized on a costly Syracuse mistake. After stalling the Orange’s attack, Miami went on the offensive. Pushing into SU territory, Miami’s Jordan Felton controlled the ball near midfield and dribbled around Syracuse midfielder Liesel Odden to make it to the 18-yard box.

Syracuse’s defensive quickly keyed in on Felton, forcing her to pass the ball to Angelillo in the left corner. Angelillo attempted to send a cross into the box but misfired. Her wild delivery flew toward SU’s Aysia Cobb, positioned at the near post, but deflected off of her foot to give Miami a 1-0 advantage.

Holding a comfortable 2-0 lead for the majority of the second half, the Hurricanes played relaxed offensively, firing just two shots in the latter 45. Miami’s defensive-minded play allowed the Orange attack to push forward but the visiting offense continued to struggle in the final third.

Following an hour-long rain delay in the 68th minute, Syracuse’s offense was no different coming back from the break. Though Flurey netted a penalty kick in the 89th minute, SU failed to find the equalizer.