Music Column

Offset proves he’s the best of Migos with ‘Father of 4’

After careful considerations and reviews of Quavo’s “QUAVO HUNCHO,” Takeoff’s “The Last Rocket” and Offset’s “FATHER OF 4,” it’s clear who the best member of the hip-hop trio is. While Quavo thinks the best Migo is Takeoff because he’s the youngest, I would have to politely disagree with Quavo, in favor of Offset

Migos started putting out individual projects in 2018, beginning with Quavo’s “QUAVO HUNCHO,” released on Oct. 12. The next month, it was followed by the release of Takeoff’s solo project “The Last Rocket,” capping off on Feb. 22 with the release of Offset’s “FATHER OF 4.”

While Quavo’s project featured quality songs, the project as a whole didn’t make it onto my playlists the same way Takeoff’s and Offset’s projects have. Quavo’s project felt more like singles forced together to make a collective musical body of work, versus Offset and Takeoff, who actually made a cohesive project where each song builds off one other.

Being that Takeoff had been the lone member of Migos without a solo project, his project was the one I most anticipated. It didn’t disappoint either – Takeoff’s project carried a consistent chill vibe that we have grown accustomed to on his Migos verses. Along with that vibe, he carried a great flow, lyricism and of course, adlibs.

But Offset somehow found a way to surprise me on songs throughout his album, while at the same time staying true to his aggressive delivery that made me a fan since he, 21 Savage and Metro Boomin released “Without Warning” on Halloween 2017.

First, Offset’s performance on Migos’ classic song “Bad and Boujee” from 2017 foreshadowed his versatility and memorable adlib. I still get chills when I hear “Offset! Woo! Woo! Woo! Woo! Woo!” Fast forward to “Without Warning” and this is truly the first time fans got a taste of Offset without Takeoff and Quavo.

When listening to the opening song – “Ghostface Killers” featuring Travis Scott – for the first time, I thought Travis Scott had been the one singing the hook. It wasn’t until I looked up the song structure that I realized it had been Offset singing it.

Here, Offset successfully mimics Scott, who’s running the hip-hop game right now as nearly every rapper is either trying to sound like him or have his sound included on their own individual projects. Travis Scott has made appearances on Quavo’s “QUAVO HUNCHO,” Offset’s “FATHER OF 4” and Future’s “Future Hndrxx Presents: The WIZRD,” along with many other songs and projects.

Fast forward to track three with Offset making the magnificent hit “Ric Flair Drip,” featuring Young Metro on a beat that puts the listener on a beach. The flow from Offset is catchy, but easy to follow, which makes the song the hit on the album.

But if we move along to track six, “Mad Stalkers,” once again Offset comes in with his now famous, “Woo! Woo! Woo! Woo! Woo!” before yelling his name. He then gives us a super aggressive flow and adlib pairing that does nothing but bring a tear to my eye because of how great it is.

This project had already shaped my opinion of Offset being the best member of Migos; but it was simply confirmed with the release of his solo project, “FATHER OF 4.”

Don’t get me wrong, I love the aggressive flow that Offset puts forth consistently. But I did worry about it becoming repetitive over the course of 16 songs. Offset threw us a curveball with the first song, “Father Of 4,” featuring Big Rube. Here, after Big Rube’s poetic verse to a somber piano beat, Offset sets the tone on what the story of his project will be. In a word, the story of this project is content.

Offset threw himself into an unfamiliar ocean and has begun to swim. Mix these features with the content about his past experiences, children and relationship with Cardi B, and you have the best project out of the three solo works from Migos. The improved content, paired with the versatility of his flow, adlibs and cadence are what make Offset the best Migo.